Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A DATE WITH IKO MASH


Iko Mash

Who is Iko Mash? I had the pleasure of doing a blog interview with the talented and gorgeous personality. "And what is a blog interview?" I hear you say. Well I sent her a list of questions via e-mail asking her all sorts of things, like her childhood, her dreams, her many talents and of course her current acting role in the Dstv drama "Zabalaza". Below are her replies to my questions.
ME: Where were you born and bred?
IKO: I was born Billy Mothola Emmanuel  Mashiloane, I was born in meadowlands zone 1 in Soweto.
ME:  At what age did you realize you were different from other boys?
IKO: I realized I was different at the age of 7 or 8 because all I loved doing was wearing my Mom's stilettos whilst cleaning the house, and never playing on the street corner like other kids.
ME: Were you naughty as a child?
IKO: I was a very quiet child, and very obedient as a result of the child abuse I recieved at the very tender age of 6 years old.
ME: What made you decide to "dress" as a female full time?
IKO: My mother's cousins were the most beautiful women I had ever seen and that inspired me to be like them.
ME: I know this is a strange question, but what gender are you classified as nowadays?
IKO: I invented the word "shim" and that's how I got to be known, to stop the confusion.
ME:  Are you an only child or do you have siblings?
IKO: My mom has 5 kids and I am the middle child.
ME: When was your biggest break?
IKO: My biggest break was in 2000 when I was in the international commercial with Nelson Mandela for trade and tourism. I was also the face of Sunlight Dishwasher as the black Marilyn Monroe.
ME: What prompted your intrest in the entertainment industry?
IKO: A friend of mine who is an actress had "forced" me to join her agency when she had taken her child for pictures. I started getting called for auditions and realized there and then that this is what I want to do.
ME: Where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years time?
IKO: I see myself running my own production house, an ad agency, and my own lifestyle show.
ME:  Rumour has it that you will be joining the cast of the local soapie "Zabalaza". Can you tell me more?
IKO: I have been with Zabalaza since episode one but my character's storyline has only started growing a few months after I started. As we know that when you are gay you have to prove yourself over and over again.
ME: Is this the first time you have done any acting?
IKO: I have done acting for many years. I have acted in Gazlam 2, Tshesa 1, Streetlife Movie, and Backstage.
ME: How do you handle/deal with fame, money and of course men?
IKO: I am spiritually very grounded and money is still on the cards. I am never faced by the presence of a man, as I am more focussed on productivity.
ME: After Zabalaza, do you have any future projects you would like to share with me?
IKO: Besides Zabalaza I have a new reality show that is coming to your screens soon. It's an extreme make-over show.
ME: With HIV/AIDS deemed to be from Africa, what message do you have for the world about this pandemic?
IKO: We need to know that the HIV/AIDS pandemic is something that we need to educate ourselves about, because nobody is a victim of some sort. We can't afford to be scared. We have to find ways of fighting the disease as it's not a death sentence.
ME: What other talents do you have?
IKO: I'm a very inspiring motivational speaker, a good cook and a child of God.
ME: Are you in a relationship at the moment?
IKO: I have just built a fantastic relationship with my mom that I never had before, so for the moment there is no time for men as I am nurturing this new rebirth.
ME: What message do you have for people out there who try to bring you down?
IKO: They don't know what I'm made of. I am a child of prayer. They are going to regret even trying.
ME: Do you have any role models?
IKO: Apart from Jesus Christ, my other role models are Somizi, Oprah, my brother and eveyone born with wisdom.
ME: What sort of music do you listen to?
IKO: R & B, Soul, House music.
ME: Your favourite movies?
IKO Titanic and anything with Tyler Perry's Madea in it.
ME: Your favourite musician/celeb?
IKO: Clementine Mosimane, Thandiswa Mazwai, Busi Mhlongo and Miriam Makeba.
ME: Do you have a favourite meal?
IKO: Anything with fish and calamari.
ME: You are also known as a designer. Do you design your own outfits or do you have someone do it for you?
IKO: That's one thing that is my passion as a stylist, so my range of "ms. mash" couture is in the pipeline.

After reading Iko's answers to my questions, I can honestly say that if I was young again Iko Mash would have been my role model.

Iko Mash and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview! Iko is such a darling. Lovely blog you have. Mine is: www.the01storyofusblog.wordpress.com