Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A LATE TRIBUTE TO THE LOCAL PIANIST, RODERICK PALMER.

Roderick Palmer was the resident pianist at Windermere Centre and entertained the shoppers every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday morning. He was very popular with the pensioners who used to sit and drink coffee at Fortunes Cafe whilst listening to his music. Roderick had a library of tunes in his head and often took requests. If he knew the song he would play it instantly for you. My favorite was his version of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" which he told me was based on a classical piece. At the drop of a hat, he even played Richard Clayderman. He will be sorely missed and the only pianist I know who could hold a lengthy conversation whilst playing a popular melody. Having known Roderick for a long time, I still miss his greeting every time he was seated at the piano. He knew just about everybody who shopped in the center by name and always had that "special tune" for you every time he saw you. My two songs were "Lily The Pink" and "A Whiter Shade of Pale", which Roderick played for me on request. Exactly a week after Roderick's passing I had a very strange experience whilst doing my laundry at Windermere Centre, I was busy removing my washing from the machine when I heard piano music. It was coming from my phone. I took the phone out of my pocket to see a video of Roderick playing "I just called to say I Love you" by Stevie Wonder. How was that possible? I've heard of these things before, but never experienced it. I had recorded a few videos of Rod's playing on my phone. Was this his way of saying his final goodbye? Roderick Palmer whoever takes over from you as resident pianist has very big shoes to fill. RIP my friend.

No comments: